Breaking News

Navigation

Tuesday 1 September 2015

Become Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious with Julie Andrews as 'Mary Poppins' | Hollywood Golden Age Fashion Creation #7

Mary Poppins is one of those films as a child I always wished to be true, that a magical nanny would swoop down, take me away to a land where penguins danced, sang and wore tuxedoes and that pictures and carousel horses came to life. I love the etherial, in charge, sophisticated look that Julie Andrews has playing this role, with the contrast of the navy and black tones of the formal feeling uniform against the bright orange scarf, showing off Mary Poppins classy yet fun side. I wanted to recreate the look of this iconic outfit based upon a more formal, event-worthy outfit with a twist on the makeup look.



I chose a formal chiffon dress, with a sparkled effect white top and simple navy blue knee length skirt. I didn't want to have a dress that was a mini dress as it didn't fit with the formal idea I had for this outfit. I also didn't want to choose a maxi dress because it would be too close to the original outfit. I really wanted the orange scarf to still be an iconic piece, so I went for a thicker more deep orange with a black shoe so they didn't distract from the orange in the scarf. I love the hat that Julie Andrews wears in this iconic outfit, but I didn't want to include a hat in a formal outfit, so instead I went for a floral crown to compliment the girly outfit, and to represent the pink and white flowers on Mary Poppins' hat. I went simple on the jewellery, as Mary Poppins doesn't really wear jewellery in the film, so I went for a simple triangle shapes necklace and cuff. For the makeup I also kept it simple, focusing on browns and peaches as a natural yet sophisticated look, but I loved the deep purples and golds in the eyeshadow and the lipstick for an added pop.

Dress | New Look Laced In Love Navy and White Embellished Prom Dress, £48
Blazer | Marcella Acacia Classic Wool Jacket at House of Fraser, £102
Shoes | New Look Black Platform Wedge Shoe Boots, £20
Scarf | Magaschoni Cashmere Colorblocked Long Scarf, £95
Necklace | Banana Republic Open Triangle Pendant Necklace in Gold, £29
Bracelet | Boohoo Talia Cut Out Triangle Hand Harness, £5.10
Crown | Accesorize Simple Rose Flower Crown Bando, £1.53
Foundation | Benefit Cosmetics 'Hello Flawless!' Liquid Foundation, £23
Makeup | Charlotte Tilbury 'The Vintage Vamp' Gift Set at Harrods, £165

Continue Exploring the Hollywood Golden Age Fashion Creations

#1 | Debbie Reynolds; 'Singin' in the Rain'
#2 | Grace Kelly; 'High Society'
#3 | Marilyn Monroe; 'How To Marry A Millionaire'
#4 | Natalie Wood; 'West Side Story'
#5 | Doris Day; 'Calamity Jane'
#6 | Judy Garland; 'Easter Parade'
#7 | Julie Andrews; 'Mary Poppins'
#8 | Audrey Hepburn; 'My Fair Lady' [coming soon]
#9 | Jane Powell; 'Seven Brides For Seven Brothers' [coming soon]
#10 | Rita Hayworth; 'You Were Never Lovelier' [coming soon]
#11 | Bette Davis; 'All About Eve' [coming soon]
#12 | Vivien Leigh; 'Gone With The Wind' [coming soon]
#13 | Deborah Kerr; 'The King and I' [coming soon]
#14 | Mitzi Gaynor; 'South Pacific' [coming soon]

1 comment:

Emma's Grimoire said...

Best film ever =]

emyii90.blogspot.co.uk

Post a Comment

Twisted Beauty | Rachael McKenzie. All rights reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio.