Breaking News

Navigation

Friday 20 March 2015

Denim Divas | #SS15

If you are one of those people who wish there was a law that made people wear at least one item of denim clothing at all times, Spring 2015 will be one of your favourite seasons. There have been so many fabulous denim items and collections in the fashion shows this year, and designs have already made their way through to the high street stores for all us lovely shoppers to get our hands on ready for the warmer months. I'd like to share with you some of my favourite denim pieces for this Spring.

[All images are taken from the respective online store websites of the retail businesses mentioned in the descriptions below - I do not own any rights to these images]


The Dress
All denim dresses are really trendy, and I love how comfy they both look and feel. The dresses I have picked out as two of my favourites are the MOTO D-Ring Shirt Dress from TopShop (£40) and the Jamielynn Denim Roll Sleeve Shift Dress from Misguided (£20). I think that the Jamielynn dress would be fabulous for day time wear, paired with some comfy flat ballet shoes and a bright lightweight jacket or with some high tops and a kimono. Whereas, the MOTO dress strikes me more as a dress which could be worn either during the day with some sandals and a cardigan, or in the evening with some bright heels. I'm really loving the idea of pairing denim's with yellows and oranges at the moment - they are amazing colours for the Spring!

The Top
The first top I chose was a light-wash top, the Frances Sleeveless Denim Shirt from Boohoo (£18). I love the fact that this is a cropped top, and the light colour means that it will go great with some high waisted leggings or with a darker coloured maxi or midi skirt. Personally, I would pair this in the day with a black midi skirt and some white flats. Another shirt I looked at, in a darker denim, was the Soft Denim Sleeveless Shirt by Karen Millen (£85). I love the pockets in this shirt, and also the design of having the buttons hidden on the front of the shirt. This gives the garment a much sleeker look, and would make it perfect for night time wear, as well as day time if paired with some flare trousers or with some black jeans. I think having colour schemes such as orange and pinks in jewellery with this outfit choice and some stand out platform heels would look incredible as a casual night time outfit. The final top I chose was the Denim Sweatshirt from H&M (£14.99), which is in fact a cotton material. I think this looks really cute, and I love the slightly darker denim colour trip around the edges of the top. I think, paired with a mini skirt, this would look adorable - especially a blue and white or yellow mini skirt.

The Dungarees
It's a universally known fact that you can't have a denim come back without a pair of dungarees making an appearance also. The dungarees I have chosen are all very different, starting with the more hot Summer's day wear dungarees, with the short leg, the BDG Denim Dungaree Playsuit in Washed Black by Urban Outfitters (£55). I like that these dungarees are a more washed out black colour than a true denim, which gives them a modern twist. They also look incredible if worn over pastel colours. The second pair of dungarees was a blue-denim, ripped knee pair from Misguided - the Vintage Wash Ripped Knee Denim Dungarees, Blue (£35). I really love the pockets and detailing on this jumpsuit, and especially like that the leg comes as more as a cropped trouser. I am also in love with the v-neck detailing and the lowering of the back, with the individual straps continuing all the way down to the waist until the garment is joined as a pair of normal jeans at the back. I also chose the Dr Denim Dungarees from Asos (£65) as I loved the relaxed look about them, and the triangular shapes created at the back of the garment. The black colour of the denim also makes these perfect for day or night wear, dependent on what footwear you choose. An item that I thought went well in my favourites selection, was a dungaree dress from Misguided, the Octavia Denim Dungaree Dress Mid Wash (£20), which I think paired with a crop top and large hat could give a whole new chic look to a country style. This could also look really nice with a bandeau in a bright colour. 


The Bag
I chose the Mango Denim Tote Bag (£25) from Asos (available from Mango) as I thought that it was an incredibly interesting denim bag in the sense that it looks really sophisticated, and not what I would commonly place denim in a category under as it screams a more casual fashion trend. I love the colour combinations in this bag with the dark denim and cream-orange sleek lines and trims.

The Shoes
I think the Denim Look Trainers from H&M (£14.99) are the epitome of denim style - comfy, casual and street - what more could you want from your every day flats in the Spring?

The Jewellery
The watch that I chose from Oasis, the Denim Strap Fashion Watch With Pink High (£18) is a really interesting piece. I love the colour combination of the hot pink hands in the clock face, with the dark denim strap. It's an intriguing match of colour scheme and I think would look great in any outfit this season.


The Shorts
The first pair of shorts I chose was the Khaki High Waisted Shorts (£25) from River Island. I like that coloured denim is also making a come back and I think that khaki is such an iconic colour at the moment. It's also a brilliant piece, as are the Jade Stretch Skinny Biker Jeans in bright pink from Oasis (£40). Both these will be the best friend of any denim lover, as paired with washed out denim shirts or tops, they could look incredibly relaxed outfits during the day, or even paired with a floral print shirt or crop top and pastel heels for a night time look. The khaki shorts seeming sister, the White High Waisted Nori Denim Shorts (£25), also from River Island, I think, are the perfect addition to this favourites list, as they also allow for a number of different colour schemes to be worn with them.

The Skirt
I chose, for a skirt option, the Zip Wrap Skirt from Oasis (£35). I really like the dark denim in contrast to the gold zips on either side of this skirt, which give it an interesting look which could be fantastic for work wear and night time wear especially. I think paired with a white shirt and some black heels, you could create an incredibly chic look. I also love the wrap around feature on this skirt, which gives it an interesting hem line and new dimension.

The Jeans
The staple of the denim trend - and something that everyone should own! I love all the varieties of jeans out there at the moment, but I thought that these four gave a fantastic array of the options that can be achieved with denim. I have already discussed the hot pink jeans from Oasis, and I think the same principle apply to the white jeans, the White Authentic High Rise Ripped Knee Skinny Jeans from New Look (£22.99). With all the floral patterns and pastel colours going around at the moment, these colourful jeans will look incredible in a pairing - especially with the tasselled items from the 70's revival. I also chose the TALL MOTO Bleach Authentic Ripped Skinny Jeans (£45) from TopShop, as I think the rips go to a whole new level, not just ripping the knees, but also continuing to smaller rips in the leg, giving a sexy, yet chic day time look. The best thing about these kinds of jeans is that they can go with anything and everything. The final item I chose was a slightly more grungy look, going with the Chloe Dark Acid Wash Pull On Denim Jeggings from Boohoo (£12). I think that these give a different look to the bright and pastel trends of the spring, and would be great paired with a khaki jumper or top to give a different look this season. 

I am in love with all these garments - and I'm especially loving how denim seems to have gone back to it's routes, and not back to having garish patterns all over them and lace and bits of other materials hanging off in all directions - it's like the 70's has come back, but with a chic new makeover in tow.

What do you think of the denim take over this Spring? Are there any staple denim items you are looking forward to wearing? Or any old, vintage denim pieces you will be pulling out of your closet?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twisted Beauty | Rachael McKenzie. All rights reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio.